Friday, February 15, 2008

the concept of "human weather"

the following letter is a thank you letter written from a traveler, mark rubin, to GAP adventures, a tour company like the one i went to morocco with. the letter is clearly an advertisement for the company and was "published" in a weekly email the company sends to subscribed customers. at any rate, i like his idea of "human weather"...

Mark Rubin took a G.A.P Adventures trip to Peru and, after some amazing life inspiring experiences on his In the Shadow of Machu Picchu tour, he sent us his thanks and thoughts about a travel phenomena he refers to as 'human weather'. Here is his story...

I've traveled, toured, walked, swam, ridden, and run my way through most of the usual places on the planet - and a few unusual places. In all this time, it never occurred to me that the real reason I travel is to figure out the common patterns between people and history.

Like most travelers, I am intrigued by the weather. I am amazed by the patterns of rising air currents, warmed by our sun, with energy transmitted over vast distances. Everything depends on the heating and cooling of the planet, in endless cycles, caught by humans for a few tiny seconds as we try to make our way. The weather connects everything on the planet, so it is intriguing and empowering. I am intrigued by people for the same reasons I am intrigued by the weather.

Before I went to Peru, I didn't realize that traveling is simply a way of being in the human weather. Everyone has a past, has fears, has loves, and desires. All people are connected by the common aspects of the human psyche. G.A.P Adventures delivers an adventure that enables travelers to get to the root of the human experience.

At one point on my trip, I was standing on the top of a mountain, on a narrow path, built by industrious people who lived long ago. On my right side, the air was warm and moist, and it smelled like the jungle. On my left side, the air was cold and dry. My body was split in half by the two different micro-climates. As I stood there, with dense clouds on my right and a completely clear sky on my left, I started to think about the reason I like to travel.

Travelers are driven to experience situations at the confluence of things. We enjoy the places where the low pressure systems of poverty and strife collide with the high pressure systems of great leadership. We are attracted to the turbulent aftermath of conquest and desire that inevitably leads to the rising and falling of civilizations. After experiencing my trip to Peru, I have a clearer understanding of the Inca Empire, and the people who currently live in South America.

The human weather down there is fascinating, and the G.A.P Adventures team did an amazing job of bringing certain aspects of the experience to light.

I am about to launch a big, national venture. Prior to my G.A.P Adventures trip, I was having some doubts about my own ability execute against my plan. After experiencing the Inca Trail with your team, I now understand that I am only limited by my ability to navigate the path and lead people. My trip with G.A.P Adventures made me a better, more empathetic person. Thanks for putting together such a fantastic company.

Best wishes and good journeys,

Mark

1 comment:

OUWxGuesser said...

Hey, I'm just publishing what the Grand Forks paper said. :P