Sunday, April 04, 2010

tidbits

i can't believe i'm still up at 1:20am. it's been a very long day - exhausting both physically and emotionally.

i've learned a lot about myself this week, but i still have a lot of processing to do. for one, i definitely need a tad more structure in my life than not! not necessarily a 9 to 5, though i've never really had one of those, so maybe!

i also need to have waaay more grace and patience with myself. and also with others.

there is a pair of house finches that drink from the watering can on my 5th floor balcony. i may have put it there for them.

my dad is super cute. he gets really into whatever it is i'm talking about. he pretty much has a meteorology degree through me. today i started talking about starbucks stock, so he got online and did all this research about good old "SBUX" while we were talking. then i mentioned that i'm considering buying my friend's scooter, so he got online and started researching that, finding others that are cheaper and a too good to be true dealership here in southern California, etc. it was cute. when i mentioned it to him, he said, "i like to live vicariously through you." i laughed. at least he admits it!

i was reading Groody's Globalization, Spirituality, and Justice today. it's pretty amazing. every paragraph had me chewing for a while. not to mention it was pretty convicting. it's good stuff, get it!

2 comments:

Marti said...

Hey, Dianne, when I read this I thought of something I recently read about the long-suffering poet, Gerard Manley Hopkins, whom the author says dealt with his own demons in a way that sounds awfully sane:

“He says with equal understatement that to have pity on his own heart means simply to be as kind and charitable to himself as Christ calls us all to be to our neighbors, with the implication that unless charity begins at home the chances are there will be something a little grim and bloodless about it everywhere else.” (Fredrick Buechner, Speak What We Feel, p. 40)

Blessings on you as you head back into classes (I assume!)

Valkyrie said...

Oh my gosh. You dad IS cute! Aren't they so much fun? I have been getting to see that side of my dad over the last year or two also, and it is so great.