Sunday, April 05, 2009

soundtrack of my life

so for a paper last quarter (my spiritual autobiography), i went the route of telling the story to the soundtrack of my life. and some might find it interesting, so i wanted to post a brief recap of the songs and a note about each one. this is what i ended up with so i could coherently tell my story, if it were a movie (or my paper could have been longer), there would be a few changes. some of these songs meant a lot to me at one point, some were (and still are) favorites, some just were in the background a lot during a season of my life. it isn't necessarily a good sampling of my favorite songs or genres, but the songs are important. enjoy.

1. In the Light * dcTalk - this was one of my favorite songs in middle school. the lyrics are still powerful.

2. Lord, I Give You My Heart * Teen Mania Ministries - because of this song, i actually thought about what it might look like to live my life "for God" for the first time.

3. Psalm 145 * Shane Barnard and Shane Everett - i got the "Psalms" album right when i first moved to oklahoma for college. i loved this album, and psalm 145 was my favorite track on it, and it still is a favorite song. hmmm, i should put it on right now!

4. You Are So Good To Me * Waterdeep - this song was the theme of my spring semester, freshman year. God really proved His goodness and faithfulness to me over and over again. it was in preparation for the following summer in turkey, but i didn't know it at that point.

5. Psalm 126 (You Have Done Great Things) * Charlie Hall - this was another anthem of God's faithfulness to me.

6. Gideon (Valley/Victory) * Jason Upton - this song describes my summer in turkey, minus the looking to God part, which He later taught me a bit more about. "I don't have all the answers, i don't even have a few."

7. Oh Lord Most High * Vineyard - a worship song from church that represents coming to the end of myself and submission to God. (thru ever kind of trial i face, form wisdom in my heart, by Your grace...)

8. Worth It All * Rita Springer - another song of surrender and submission for my stubborn heart and soul.

9. Rescue * Desperation Band - a song of my rocky trust in God, wanting to really follow Him as i rebuilt my faith and continued in school at OU.

10. The Scientist * Coldplay - a great song that represents all the good "secular" music i was introduced to in australia, the first time i was outside of "the Christian bubble".

11. This Love * Maroon 5 - was played on the radio every time i listened to it for a few weeks while i was in australia, particularly when i was traveling in the north with my sister.

12. The Answer * Shane and Shane - the lyrics represent the lesson of my time in australia - a distilling of what Christianity means to me - loving God and loving others.

13. Invade * Watermark - after a time of wandering, wondering if i really needed God or not, this song brought me back to my knees. don't ask me how or why, but it literally did. amanda played this album a lot when i lived with her.

14. Not A God (You Are God Alone) * Billy and Cindy Foote - another one Amanda played a lot, a song of worship and awe.

15. Livin' On A Prayer * Bon Jovi - the theme song of my last semester of college: just get me out of here!

16. There's Only One (Holy One) * Caedmon's Call - the chorus was the foundation i needed for my 5 months in "boot camp". it seems to be the truth that will keep me motivated on the mission field (and in the rest of life!).

17. Out of My Hands * The Turning - i hit bottom when i finished boot camp and ended up back in VA. the humility and rawness of this song was exactly where i was, but i was unwilling to look through eyes of faith.

18. Become * Goo Goo Dolls - a song that spoke to my heart when i was in europe, being rebuilt solely by the love of Christ.

19. Twentysomething * Jamie Cullum - the lyrics. need i say more? the story of my life, minus the bar fights.

20. Undeniable * Mat Kearney - a song of worship and praise

21. Sweetly Broken * Jeremy Riddle - the conclusion i've come to: at the cross, i am on my knees, sweetly broken, surrendered in love. it is here that LIFE is found.

22. Alegria * Salvador - a fun song that the girls danced to when we were in Nicaragua.

23. Desde Mi Interior * Hillsong United - i learned this song for nicaragua, and i loved the lyrics - i give You the control, justice and love culminating in sheer worship.

24. Verbalize * Shelley Moore Band - a fun song that i like the lyrics to, again (i can't describe Your love, i can't verbalize Your grace).

25. The Stand * Hillsong United - after arriving at fuller, i experienced God's goodness again (i'll stand, my soul, Lord, surrendered...).

26. Lead Me To the Cross * Hillsong United - another worship song from my church of surrender and worship.

27. From the Inside Out * Hillsong United - the english version of the one i loved in nicaragua. (let justice and praise become my embrace.)

28. Healer * Hillsong - a song of faith in God's character.

29. You Never Let Go * Matt Redman - a song of hope for the future, knowing that He never lets go, and never will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Soundtrack of your life is so unique, fun, and personal. I pray that God continues to use music to speak to you. May more awesome songs reach you at your core and leave you different for the better. I am so glad that you had this opportunity to do it and to put together some pieces of growth, love, and brokeness. God is an amazing healer and he uses time to do it. I love you!
Shannon