Friday, March 03, 2006

is He enough?

Is He? Is Jesus enough for my life? This is the question plaguing my heart and mind this evening. I find myself this week feeling depressed. But I think really, I am deeply lonely. My life right now is nothing what my "glory" years were like out in Oklahoma. There, I used to see friends on a daily basis, hang out with them in class, between classes, after class. Now, I see my parents. If I'm lucky, I'll get a phone call or voice mail or email from a friend somewhere else. I get to see my VB friends on Friday nights, and occasionally on a Saturday afternoon. I go to Barrett's house on Wed eves to watch LOST, which I love, but honestly, I couldn't care less about the TV show. Tuesday nights I've started to go to Murphy's for trivia night with the Hamakers, but I can't really say they are my close friends, they just keep me from going entirely insane. On Sundays at church, I don't usually see my friends who go there. It's just such a huge church it is rare that I run into them, and I don't really know where to look for them, and even if I did, most of them are talking to someone else already, that they don't get to see any other time of the week, and I at least get to see them on Friday nights.

SO, it may seem that I do get to see my friends quite often, especially compared with how often I'll get to see any of them once I'm on the other side of the world. Which makes me think that God is using this time to prepare me, to teach me how to be His friend, so that He will be my friend, my lover. Which brings me back to the original question: Is Jesus enough? Can Jesus really be my best friend? And what in the world does this look like? How does it happen?

Come near, my God. Come close.

No comments: