Saturday, October 18, 2008

a tough week

man, this week has been rough. in so many ways, most of which i will only exacerbate if i expound on them. my work schedule created some less than ideal sleep hours, which of course only made my emotions even more unstable, and i wasn't able to concentrate as well as i would have liked.

at any rate, the worst is behind me and i'm learning to give up the past and press forward in my assignments and readings.

i'm still working on the balance of academia vs work vs my walk with Jesus. it's so weird to me that Jesus is meeting my studies. i'm learning to pray through my work, to pray for wisdom in classes, to allow the materials in my readings and lectures to affect my heart and beliefs. sometimes this has been a wonderful breath of fresh air, sometimes a gust of wind that knocks me off my feet. but in every situation, the Holy Spirit is transforming me, if i let Him. so it's all an interesting transition.

i bought a book this week, "from seed to fruit: global trends, fruitful practices, and emerging issues among muslims." oh man, i just read the introduction and i got the shivers. it's awesome stuff. some of the chapters are very pertinent to my studies this quarter.

my biggest frustration this week came from my global theology class. i did get a little clarity this week on our group project, and i think this book might help! so even tho i hate the class at times, i'm excited to research something i have an interest in.

i have a language partner, too! actually, two of them, paul and becky, from taiwan. we meet once a week for an hour or two and just talk. it's so fun to get to know them! i really enjoy answering their questions and helping them with their English. they are both so sweet and joyful, i usually laugh and grin the whole time i'm with them. they had me over for lunch today, and it was good times. i love them!

in the back of the bookstore is a bunch of stuff from all over the world. it's all free trade crafts that support grassroots organizations who work with the poor and marginalized people in underdeveloped areas. man, i buy something every time i go back there! it's all very reasonably priced, i'm supporting a great cause, i get to look at and buy really neat things from all over the world, and it's just so fun! i usually start looking for something that's a gift for someone, then find a lot more for me, and something for someone else, but not the original person. but it's fun like that. my favorite thing so far has been these glass balls. they are clear glass, the size of an orange, maybe, and have a top like a Christmas ornament. but they're a little heavy to try to hang on a Christmas tree. the glass has color rings that look like they're sliding down the sides, in different sizes and colors, usually like a bullseye of 2 colors. the background is clear, but the whole thing has cracks in it that make it look almost frosted. it looks like it could be murano glass in some ways, but they're made in india. the first time i saw them, i bought all 3 that were on the shelf. when i went back yesterday, there were 2 more, so i bought one of them. i'm SO tempted to go back and get the other, and maybe even more if they put them out. they're so reasonably priced and just so beautiful. amazing. now if only i can figure out a cool way to display them!

No comments: